Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Stockholm Spot II






BEYOND RETRO
This isn't going to make me sound like a very good person, but this is how I travel: I like to make a list of bars I'd like to visit, and spend my late afternoons bar hopping. This is a great time to do it, they're not too crowded yet, you get to chat with the staff a bit, and usually you're just in time for happy hour! Interesting bars, I find, are often near interesting...other stuff. Galleries, cinemas, shops, you name it. I was on my way to check out Nada Bar, when I passed Beyond Vintage. I swooped in to discover the mega mart of vintage shopping. My initial reaction was awe. My second second impression was a bit annoyed, pretentious even. I felt like it was a bit over the top; too much, too organized. It took away from the "thrifting experience" of rummaging. Bull shit. 10 minutes later, I looked down and saw 6 items flung over my arm. Good ones.
So then and there I had to change my philosophy. I paid attention to the fact that these items were truly vintage, complete with yellowing tags. I paid attention to the fact that the sales girls were friendly and funny and didn't bitch when I asked if I could take a few snaps. (In case you've never whipped out a camera in a vintage shop without asking. DON'T.)
I also paid attention to the fact that the selection was truly good. Unique pieces that weren't so outlandish that you couldn't wear them in the modern world.
So, in the end, I left happy, with a sweater which has since won me multiple compliments.
I'll warn you though, it's not exactly a bargain center. Dresses ranged from 30 to 90 euro, and the average sweater was around 20. But many items were inexplicably marked 1/2 off, so hunt for those gems. It's the kind of place you go to for a kick, expecting to get something one-of-a-kind you'll forever adore, but not necessarily expecting to pay bottom (nor top) dollar for.

Åsögatan 144 / Tube: Medborgarplatsen / Stockholm

0 comments: