Friday, July 16, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are






This 3 year old watched savage lizards rip apart skinned rats. Who needs cartoons?


Normally my zoo experiences consist of "cute! ...ok, he's not do anything, onto the giraffes." But this time, the animals were on their A-game. I'd never seen so much action in a zoo. Personable apes, and extremely vocal ostriches; a zoo day to remember.

Still, whenever I'm in a zoo I can't help but think about that bit from "Slaughterhouse Five". Billy Pilgrim, and a random female starlet are abducted by aliens, and put into a studio apartment with glass walls. All day long alien citizens press their noses to the glass, to laugh and "aww" over Billy and his new mate's habits. (Reading newspapers, making love, making eggs)

If you haven't read it yet, I really suggest it. It was given to me three or four years ago, and it's still making me think.

0 comments: