Sunday, September 06, 2009

Confessions

So whenever someone asks me to list my top favorite films, I do, and I always end up sort of laughing and embarrassed admitting that I also really like "Sabrina".
I mentioned it last week in a post, and a friend commented that she also really likes it.
Which made me sit back, run the movie through my mind, and realize that it is a great fucking movie.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

Romantic comedy films get a bad rap, mostly just because they're badly done these days (Sex & The City, 27 Dresses).
But I think that the 90's was a good time for the rom-com genre. When I think about it, I can admit to quite a few romantic comedies I like from that decade.

-You've Got Mail
"This place is a tomb, I'm going the nutshop where it's fun."
Trailer

-Sleepless in Seattle
" I am NOT going to New York to meet some woman who could be a crazy, sick lunatic! Didn't you see Fatal Attraction? "


-When Harry Met Sally
Harry: "And was it worth it? The sacrifice for a friend you don't even keep in touch with?"
Sally: "Harry, you might not believe this, but I never considered not sleeping with you a
sacrifice."


-While you Were Sleeping
"It's amazing how exotic Wisconson... isn't. "


Some of those I'm not sure if I love just because they remind me of being younger, and my parents' nightly movie fests. (My dad, as quirky as he seems, is a softie, and puts up with a LOT of romantic comedy for my mom's sake.) But even now, I enjoy them, and can't find a lot to criticize in them.
Anyway, I just feel like romantic comedy writers have given up lately.

I want Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan to be young, and witty, and wonderful again.

Anyway.

No more admitting that I love "Sabrina". I am proud to own that movie on both VHS and DVD.

My sister and I still quote it regularly.

"You think that morals are paintings on walls, and scruples are money in Russia."

"We were up to our elbows in your underwear. It was like touching the shroud of Turim."


"David, David, you're like my own son!" "I am your own son, Mother."


"You guys work Sundays now?" "It's Wednesday, David"


I think it's time to re-watch that one.

6 comments:

jenny 12:50 PM  

so i havent seen when harry met sally...and i think i mistook "forget paris" with "french kiss"...so i just watched french kiss recently and it was awful. but these are all my favorite girl movies yes.

Kelsi 1:21 PM  

Oh god.
You have to watch "When Harry Met Sally".
It's great.

Haha, ok, I'll skip "French Kiss", then.

I don't think I've heard of "Forget Paris".

jenny 3:18 PM  

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Forget_paris.jpg

Rose,  9:18 PM  

Have you seen Broken English?

For me, the best rom-coms are from the 1930 & 40's. I like the classics!

Kathy Miranda 12:47 PM  

umm have u met rachel rufrano? because you two would seriously get along with this list

Kelsi 1:54 PM  

Haha, nice.

I've run into her a few times around the union, but not enough to know she had such good taste.